The Public Section is a group of school boards within the Saskatchewan School Boards Association. It is comprised of 15 public school boards across Saskatchewan responsible for the education of approximately 125,000 students. The Section is committed to the advancement of public education in Saskatchewan.
The Public Section is committed to locally governed, universally accessible, high quality education supported by students, parents, the public and educational partners in Saskatchewan. The Public Section envisions inclusive public schools, open to all students, that are valued for providing an education that meets the challenges of a complex and changing world.
The Public Section will be a leading advocate for public school divisions in Saskatchewan and will pursue the mandate of public education. The Public Section will strive to ensure that funding for public education reflects the fundamental values of an inclusive, democratic society.
- Focus on student learning
- Democratic values
- Openness and transparency
- to advocate on behalf of public education
- to communicate the fundamental worth of public education in a democratic society
- to protect the rights of public education
- to provide leadership for the good of public education
Goal: To advocate on behalf of public education
- The Public Section will pursue meetings with the Minister of Education, the Education critic, the Deputy Minister and other key actors in the education sector.
- The Public Section will participate in the provincial educational visioning process.
- The Public Section will ensure education partners understand the importance of public education.
- Minimum of one formal meeting with each of the Minister, Deputy Minister and the Education critic.
- Expressing the Public Section vision in the education visioning process.
- Successful meetings with education partners.
Goal: To communicate the fundamental worth of public education in a democratic society
- The Public Section will maintain a presence on Facebook and Twitter advancing the accomplishments of public schools and highlighting important issues.
- The Public Section will explore communication through traditional media to highlight benefits of public education.
- Increased number of followers on Twitter.
- Increased engagement of Section members on Facebook.
- Information for Public Section executive on traditional media costs and options.
Goal: To protect the rights of public education
- The Public Section will pursue the “Theodore” litigation through defending the appeal of the Layh decision.
- The Public Section will ensure the position of the Public Section is expressed within the SSBA and in conversations with the Catholic Section of the SSBA.
- Successful outcome of the appeal.
- Advocate for a Public Section representative on the SSBA Executive through an SSBA by-law change.
- Regular communication with Public Section members now on the SSBA Executive.
- Meetings between the Public Section Executive Director and the Catholic Section Executive Director.
Goal: To provide leadership for the good of public education
- The Public Section Executive Director, and Chair when available, will meet with as many public boards as practicable.
- The Public Section will offer services to public boards as requested.
- Minimum of four meetings with Public Section boards.
- Record of requests for Public Section services.
Updated November 2018